I have been working with three of our Greenhill (Greenhill School) graduating seniors on a research tutorial exploring two diverse problems.
One of these problems explores the nature of student attitudes towards learning with technology (SALT). There are many forms of technology and ways to work with it in learning environments. However, what do we really know about student’s attitudes towards learning with technology? What are the differences in their mind between teachers who make use of technology and those who don’t? What about the forms of technology used in the learning environment? What do we know about the way they approach projects and problems that may utilize technology? How do they feel about using technology as a tool for learning?
We have just piloted our new instrument with Greenhill Upper School Students and are currently running through a series of focus groups as a final step before releasing the survey to a large number of schools. This means we are now looking for schools that might be interested in participating in this study. We hope you will consider joining us on this project.
What will you need to do if you are involved in the project?
1. The survey is designed for any school (Public or Independent) who have grades 9-12.
2. The survey takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and consists of several scales and question types.
3. You will need to share the school specific survey link with your students and encourage them to participate. The larger the number of students participating at each school, the better understanding we will have at both the school level and across the study.
4. For schools that participate, there will be two winners randomly drawn from the school’s students who participated. Each will receive a $20 gift card.
5. Schools that participate will receive a full set of THE SCHOOL’S raw data and their summary reports as exported from Survey Monkey. This will allow you to compare your school data with the final published report.
6. An administrator at the school (your designee) will complete a short school profile survey so that the school’s data may be placed in context as we collect data from schools across the United States.
1. We will be analyzing the data across all of the schools and plan to submit our findings for publication in a peer review journal with the students as co-authors. No school or student identification will be used in any publications or presentations. The only people who will have access to the complete data set will be the primary investigator Dr. Chris Bigenho and his three student researchers.
2. In order to participate in the study, I will need a simple email to email@example.com from the head of school stating that they would like the school to be involved in the study.
3. The school will receive a full set of their data and summary report as produced by Survey Monkey in exchange for participating. This data will be useful in comparing your school with the findings in the final report.
I am happy to answer any questions you may have about this study and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org as well as my office number at 972-628-5479. It is our hope that you will join us as we try to better understand the use of technology for learning by students. Please email your interest. We look forward to hearing from many of you soon.
Below you will find additional information that is presented to the participant explaining the study and seeking their acknowledgement and approval for participating in the study.
I am also providing a link to my portfolio and some of my prior studies and publications so that you may have a better understanding of who I am as you consider joining us in this study.
DISCLOSURE AND CONSENT INFORMATION
Before agreeing to participate in this research study, it is important that you read and understand the following explanation of the purpose and benefits of the study and how it will be conducted.
TITLE OF STUDY: Exploration of Student Attitudes towards Learning with Technology
PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR: Chris Bigenho, PhD
CO-INVESTIGATORS: Arjun Gupta, Caroline Gold, and Lindsay Rawitscher
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY: You are being asked to participate in a research study which is designed to help us gain a better understanding of high school student’s attitudes towards learning with technology. This study involves a series of questions related to user technology habits and attitudes related to their feelings and experience with technology in learning environments and their personal learning habits. Understanding these attitudes is important to understanding how we can effectively use these technologies for teaching and learning.
STUDY PROCEDURES: You will be asked to complete a short survey that collects basic demographic and technology use information. This is followed by a series of questions that look at attitudes and preferences related to specific areas of using technology for learning and in learning environments. At the end of the survey, you will also have an opportunity to supply additional thoughts related to how you answered questions. The entire survey should take you 10 to 15 minutes to complete.
FORESEEABLE RISKS: There are no foreseeable risks involved in the study.
BENEFITS TO PARTICIPANTS AND OTHERS: We expect the process of this project to produce results that will be useful to educators, instructional designers and instructional institutions as they consider new approaches to teaching and learning. The results may also be useful to others in the research field and add to the body of knowledge on this topic. Additionally, participants may gain a better understanding of their own preferences and attitudes as they address the survey questions.
COMPENSATION FOR PARTICIPANTS: As a token of appreciation for your participation in our study, you will be entered in a drawing for a $20 gift card with a limit of two winners per school. You will receive the announcement of the drawing results immediately after the surveys for your school are complete.
PROCEDURES FOR MAINTAINING CONFIDENTIALITY OF RESEARCH RECORDS: Any identifying information will be coded so that only the principal investigator (Dr. Chris Bigenho) and the three co-researchers will have access to the un-coded data. Final reports and publications will involve only coded information, aggregate data and data analysis. The original data and research records will be locked in cabinets for three years. There will be no disclosure of data outside of the four researchers. The confidentiality of your individual information and the school information will be maintained in any publications or presentations regarding this study. Your acknowledgement of this statement and electronic consent will be maintained in separate locations than the collected data prior to any data analysis and data storage.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE STUDY: If you have any questions about the study, you may contact Dr. Chris Bigenho at telephone number 972-628-5479 or e-mail at email@example.com.
RESEARCH PARTICIPANTS RIGHTS: Your signature below (electronic entry of first and last name) indicates that you have read or have had read to you all of the above and that you confirm all of the following:
1. Dr. Chris Bigenho has explained the study to you and answered all of your questions. You have been told the possible benefits and potential risks and or discomforts of the study.
2. You understand that you do not have to take part in this study and your refusal to participate or your decision to withdraw will involve no penalty or loss of rights or benefits. The study personnel may choose to stop your participation at any time.
3. You understand why the study is being conducted.